This year’s World Book Day, Thursday 4th March, in lockdown will be a bit different. However, there are lots of ways to celebrate World Book Day at home, at school or wherever you are.
Spend some time next Thursday celebrating a book, or write a book review. Perhaps you could do a live story, book debate/discussion.
We know how brilliant you all are at promoting reading and books, so please share some of the activities you do.
Here is the link for World Book Day and some ideas for this year.
It would be fantastic to celebrate this day when we are all back in school!
Accessing Remote Learning
Due to the National Lockdown, all schools are closed to all pupils except the children of critical workers and vulnerable pupils. All learning for pupils from Year 1 to 6 will be available on Microsoft Teams. For pupils in EYFS, their learning will be shared via Tapestry.
- For computers - please use the following link https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/microsoft-teams/group-chat-software (click on sign in and insert your child’s login details).
- For mobile devices – you can download the Teams app from your device’s app store.
- For Xbox and PlayStation – you can access Teams via the internet browser on the device. (Please see the link to understand how) https://youtu.be/CiNzN8QxIRI.
On the school website, there are a series of videos which show how to access learning via assignments and how work can be completed. You class teacher has also sent these via Class Dojo. https://parklandprimary.co.uk/pupil-zone/home-learning-area
Parkland Primary School is committed to supporting you as best as possible to ensure that pupils can access their learning alongside any other issues you might have. Class teachers will be busy teaching and preparing pre-recorded lessons for all pupils. They will also be in regular communication with you via Class Dojo. We will contact you regularly to complete a well-being check to ensure that everyone is ok.
If you do not have a device at home, we are able to loan out school devices to ensure that your child can continue to access their learning. All decisions will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Please complete the Microsoft Form by clicking the link below and a member of school staff will be in contact with you.
If the weather takes a change for the worse, we would like to inform you of the plan we will follow if we need to close the school:
- We will contact Radio Leicester if the school is to close and information will be broadcasted on 104.90FM, normally from 7.30am onwards (it is quite often before). They also put details on BBC Local News Leicester website. Please do not ring the Radio Station.
- At the same time, or earlier, we will update our website and twitter - @Parklandsch
- We will send a text out informing parents of the closure
If you do not hear to the contrary assume that the school will re-open as normal the following day.
We will endeavor, where possible, to keep the school open, but keeping the children and staff safe is paramount. If you have any concerns about travelling in the snow please don’t and inform the school as soon as possible. We will do our upmost to have the phone manned, whatever the weather.
If the school needs to be closed during the school day, we will contact parents as quickly as possible and also follow the below procedure.
CONTINGENCY PLAN IN THE EVENT OF SEVERE WEATHER DURING SCHOOL HOURS
- Head teacher to review the situation throughout the day. Our aim is to have dinner in school, however, lunch time may be earlier, this will be reviewed with the Kitchen Manager and staff will be notified accordingly.
- If the weather is severe (as predicted) we will text Parents to ask them to collect their child as soon as they can. We will ensure all children are safe in school until they can be collected.
- Staff who have to travel some distance will be advised by the head teacher when they are able to go.
- All School staff – including lunchtime supervisors - who walk to school will be asked to stay to supervise children in order to release staff who live a long way from school.
- Clubs may be cancelled, and a decision will be made about this earlier in the day.
- If school is closed due to severe weather, then Wrap Around Care (WAC) will also be cancelled.
- The weather situation will be reviewed throughout the coming days and we will keep you informed of any proposed actions through the text messaging service, our website, twitter and local radio stations.
- Parents please ensure your child has appropriate footwear and clothing suitable for the weather conditions.